Test-paddle looks a little different this year, considering the circumstances COVID-19 poses. We are currently offering test-paddle by appointment only. Please read through this entire page before making an appointment.
- To make an appointment, please call our store and have an idea of what boats you would like to test paddle.
- We have a limit of 2 boats per test paddle appointment and require a $25 reservation deposit which can be applied towards a future boat purchase.
- For the safety of all involved, both customers and Rutabaga staff will be required to wear a mask during the test paddle - with no exceptions.
- We are asking customers to please bring their own paddle and life jacket if they have them. If you do not have your own paddle and life jacket, we can provide them for you.
- We will sanitize all of Rutabaga's equipment used after each use.
Additional Details about Test Paddling:
You wouldn't buy a car without driving it, so why would you buy a canoe, kayak, or stand-up paddleboard without paddling it first? Rutabaga is located on the water and we offer test paddling every day during the season. Test paddling ensures you have the right boat! To make it safe and easy, here are a few simple guidelines:
- When you call to make your appointment, please let us know which boats you plan on test paddling. We have a two-boat maximum policy. If you need advice, we can make suggestions based on your needs.
- We like water and we like electricity, but we don't like water and electricity together. We will cancel any test paddle appointments during bad weather.
- We love it when kids test out new gear. Paddlers under 18 need a parent here.
- You might test the stability of the boat to its capsize point. In other words, you may take a swim. We suggest bringing a spare change of clothes.
- All test paddlers must wear a properly fitted PFD (life jacket) both on the pier and on the water.
- Footwear is required at all times in and out of boats.
- Cell phones, wallets, prescription glasses, and anything of value is best left in your vehicle. Smartphones get real stupid when they get wet.
At Rutabaga Paddlesports we have been selling kayaks and canoes online for over a decade. We are also a top SUP dealer. Rutabaga Paddlesports supplies paddlers with clothing and accessories that fit their budget, style, and meet their demands. We strive to offer a broad range of American made and sustainable paddle gear to our customers.