West Systems G/flex 655-8 Epoxy Adhesive provides a waterproof, flexible, and permanent repair for a variety of materials. A toughened and resilient two-part epoxy, the 655-8 Epoxy gives a superior waterproof bond to plastics, metals, fiberglass, masonry, glass, and wet and difficult-to-bond woods.
655-8 Epoxy is 4.5-ounces each of thickened G/flex 655 resin and hardener, as well as complete handling and repair instructions. This forms a tough bond on many different materials.
A marine-grade adhesive, this product is manufactured by West System, a division of Gougeon Brothers, Inc. The Gougeon brothers have some 50 years of experience in using epoxy resins in boat building and repair. With G/flex you’re getting an adhesive specifically designed for the boating community.
- 4.5 oz. each of thickened G/flex 655 resin and hardener. The mixing ratio is 1:1. These are the same tubes of resin and hardener that come in the G/flex 655-K Kit.
- Mixed G/flex 655 is of a "gel-toothpaste" consistency. It's still very spreadable but stays put where it is applied.
- It makes structural bonds that can absorb the stresses of expansion, contraction, shock, and vibration.
- In addition to its superior bonding to many different materials and its ability to bond dissimilar materials, cured G/flex is much more flexible than other epoxies. This is an excellent property for boat building and repair.
- Polyethylene (HDPE) is a common kayak and canoe material. Its molecular structure resists gluing by most adhesives. G/flex solves the problem; it bonds well to polyethylene and ABS plastics.
- After mixing, at 72 degrees F, you have about 45 minutes to apply the mixture before it begins to gel.
- You have up to 75 minutes to assemble and clamp parts after the adhesive is applied. It cures to a solid in 3-4 hours, to a workable cure in 7-10 hours, and cures to its full strength in one to two days. It cures faster in warmer temperatures and slower in colder ones.
- Clean-up is simple. Wipe up spills with absorbent materials. Clean residue before it cures, with alcohol or acetone.
- G/flex adheres tenaciously to difficult-to-glue hardwoods, both tropical and domestic varieties.
- It has the ability to glue damp woods. It can be used on wet surfaces, even underwater when applied with specific techniques.
- G/flex does indeed belong in every boater's repair kit. The more you use it, the more uses you'll find for it - with your boating gear and other sporting and household items. It's easy to mix and use. The instructions are top-notch; check them out in the "More Info" section on this page.
Properties of G/flex Epoxy that make it superior for use by boaters:
- Toughness and flexibility: G/flex has been “toughened,” formulated to give bonds that can absorb the stresses of expansion, contraction, shock and vibration. It’s resilient, impact-resistant, and more flexible than other epoxies, some three-times more flexible than most.
- It bonds well to a variety of materials, including dissimilar ones: Plastics, metals, fiberglass, wood, ceramics, rubber and much more.
- It’s easy to use: Resin and hardener are mixed in a 1-to-1 ratio, by volume. It has a relatively long open working time, yet it cures quickly and can be used in cool temperatures.
- It gives good adhesion to wet and damp surfaces: It lets you glue to damp woods. It can be used on wet surfaces, even underwater when applied with specific techniques.
- It gives excellent adhesion to hard-to-bond woods: Domestic and exotic woods that are hard to glue, like white oak, teak, purpleheart and ipe bond successfully with G/flex.
- It’s great for so much more than boats and boating equipment! You’ll find many more uses for G/flex. Glue and repair leather and synthetic shoes and boots, seal gutters and drains, bond coated and uncoated fabrics. Repair spas, snowmobile and motorcycle fenders, tubs and showers, tool handles, hockey sticks, tennis and racquetball rackets, household ceramics and so much more!
D-ring pads and G/flex epoxy (pdf)
Gluing plastic with G/flex (pdf)
Repairing a Royalex Canoe with G/flex Epoxy (PDF)
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET - G/Flex 655 Epoxy Hardener - West System Inc. (PDF)
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET - G/Flex 655 Epoxy Resin - West System Inc. (PDF)
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.